The Churches at the Village of Milan, Ohio

The Village of Milan has three separate stand alone churches which are both historic and with beautiful interiors. The earliest recorded meeting of a church group in the Milan area where the Presbyterians in 1818 at Spears Corners. The Presbyterians also have the distinction of having built the first church in Milan in 1837, although it eventually was destroyed by a fire. The oldest standing church in the Village of Milan is St. Anthony's Catholic Church which was constructed in 1866.

   
Edison Memorial United Methodist Church

(Church Dedicated in 1937)

The first frame church was built in 1843. A brick church was constructed at this location in 1892, however it was destroyed by fire in 1930. The Edison Memorial United Methodist Church was completed in 1937. 

   
St. Anthony's Catholic Church 

(Church Dedicated in 1866)

In 1866, a large frame warehouse was purchased by the catholic church from the warehouse area of the Milan Canal. Prior to that, the church purchased a now vacant lot that used to be the old Milan cemetery and they put a stone foundation for the warehouse. The workers dismantled the warehouse and reconstructed the building on the new foundation and they put a tower on the roof and it became a church. Other renovations were also made and on New Year's Day in 1891, a fire gutted the church. However, the building was repaired and over the years, other changes and additions were made to the church. But as far as we know, the Milan Canal warehouse who became a church, is still standing (at least, parts of it) and this is the oldest church in Milan. 

   

   
The Milan Presbyterian Church

(Church Dedicated in 1890)

This church was built after the original Presbyterian Church at this site, was destroyed by fire in 1888 along with the Milan town hall. The Lockwood chapel, that is joined to the church, was built in 1887 and was not burned in the fire, because at this time, it stood apart from the church. The chapel and the church was joined during the building of the present Milan Presbyterian Church in 1890.

    

 

Photo Gallery: 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 8 - 9 - 10 - 11 - 12 - 13 - 14 - 15 - 16 - 17 - 18 - 19 - 20 - 21 22 - 23 - 24 - 25 - 26 - 27

 

 

 

Click Here To Send Me Suggestions, Information, Corrections on This Page

 

Click Here To Visit The History of Milan

Gallery 15 Page Last Updated: 04/04/2012

MilanArea.com Main Page Directory

Home Page The Village of Milan On The Town Square Thomas Edison Birthplace
Milan Melon Festival Milan Public Library Milan Historical Museum Huron River Greenway
Settlers Weekend Edison Park Milan Cemetery Hoffman Forest Reserve
The Coupling Reserve The Milan Canal James H. McBride Arboretum Castalia Quarry Reserve
Dupont Marsh Galpin Nature Trail Restaurants of Milan Castalia State Fish Hatchery
Churches of Milan Birmingham School Park Antique Shops of Milan Schoepfle Garden
Old Woman Creek Sheldon Marsh Osborn Recreation Area Pelton Park
Resthaven Wildlife Area Edison Woods Preserve Historic Homes of Milan Milan State Wildlife Area
Erie Metroparks Places To Visit in Area MilanArea Site Map Cruisin on the Square
Photo Gallery Idaho Artwork Page Mid-Summer Antique Fest Eagle Point Preserve
Milan Weather Map Milan Area Links Milan Recreational Parks Sites to Visit on Net